Antoinette Sandbach - Eddisbury Liberal Democrats

Thomas Cook - Advice for Employees

I have written to the Secretary of State for Business urging her to put in place a package of support for Thomas Cook employees. 

By Digital Directorate, Sep 23, 2019 2:09

I have been contacted over the weekend by a number of constituents who are Thomas Cook employees. 

I have already written to the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, Andrea Leadsom, urging her to immediately put in place a package of support for Thomas Cook employees. 

In the interim, the Government has issued the following guidance for employees:

Insolvency Service

If you work for Thomas Cook and have been told that you are being made redundant, the Insolvency Service has advice about claiming money you’re owed and information about where you can seek support.

Who is eligible?

You can apply to the Insolvency Service for redundancy and other payments if:

  • you worked for these companies under an employment contract
  • you live in England, Scotland or Wales

If you live outside of England, Scotland and Wales, and also spent the majority of your employment outside of England, Scotland, and Wales, you will need to apply to the redundancy scheme in that jurisdiction.

How to apply

The Special Managers will give you details about how to apply and will also give you a case reference number (for example CN12345678).

Once you have this information you can apply online.

Paying your claim

On average the Insolvency Service’s redundancy payments service pays redundancy and related claims within 14 days of receipt of information.  Special arrangements are being put in place to pay sooner if practicable to do so.

The Secretary of State will also be writing to the Insolvency Service to ask them to prioritise and fast-track their investigation into the circumstances surrounding Thomas Cook going into liquidation. The investigation will also consider the conduct of the directors.

Find more information about what the Insolvency Service can pay.

Employees of Thomas Cook’s airline and tour operator companies should approach AlixPartners for further information about how to make a claim via their dedicated website.

Employees of Thomas Cook’s retail and aircraft maintenance companies should approach KPMG for further information about how to make a claim via their dedicated website or [email protected].

Jobcentre Plus Rapid Response Service

The Government’s Jobcentre Plus Rapid Response Service stands ready to help people find a new job as soon as possible by offering tailored support.

Cross-Government Task Force

The government also intends to convene a cross-government taskforce to support employees, alongside local stakeholders. The taskforce will consider existing support schemes and will also monitor the impact on local businesses.

I will keep you advised of developments and update this site with further guidance for employees as soon as this is available.  If I can be of any further assistance in the meantime, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me by e-mail [email protected] or telephone 01606 861 300.

Share this post on social media: